All installations of a domestic solid fuel, wood or biomass burning appliance need to be registered in England and Wales. There are two methods of doing this, using a registered HETAS installer or applying directly to the building control department in your area.

It is recommended that you use a HETAS installer as the work must meet the required installation standards and the cost to you as the customer is less than if you were to approach your local authority. Failure to register the work can lead to enforcement and can also cause problems when selling the property.