Makes 6 – 8 slices
200g plain flour
2 tbsp icing sugar
100g cold unsalted butter, diced
1 tsp lemon juice
2-3 tsp iced water
410g jar or homemade mincemeat
2-3 red skinned dessert apples
15g salted butter
1 tbsp caster sugar
2 tbsp apricot jam
1 tbsp water
- For the pastry, combine the flour, icing sugar and salt and rub in the butter until the mixture resembles breadcrumbs.
- Beat together the egg, lemon juice and 2 tsp of the water and stir into the flour using a round bladed knife. Gradually bring the mixture together adding the other 1 tsp water if needed. The dough should be soft but not wet.
- Lightly knead the dough into a smooth ball and wrap in cling. Chill for 15 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 200°C/gas mark 6.
- Place the pastry on a lightly floured surface and roll into a rectangle large enough to line a 35cm x 10cm rectangular fluted tart mould with a removable base. The pastry should be 2-3mm thick.
- Use to line the mould, gently pressing into the corners and leaving a little excess overhanging the edges.
- Prick the base with a fork, line with baking parchment and fill with baking beans.
- Bake for 12–15 minutes until the pastry base is dry to the touch.
- Remove the paper and beans and continue to cook for 5–7 minutes until lightly coloured.
- Remove from the oven and using a sharp knife, trim away the excess pastry while still warm.
- Reduce the oven temperature to 180°C/gas mark 4.
- Spread the mincemeat over the tart base.
- Using an apple corer, remove the cores keeping the apples whole. Adjust the mandoline to a fine setting and slice the apples approximately 3mm thick. Cut the rounds in half and arrange the slices over the mincemeat.
- Melt the butter and sugar and use to brush over the apples.
- Bake in the oven for 30–35 minutes until the mincemeat is bubbling and the apples are golden brown.
- Leave to cool slightly before removing from the tin.
- Melt the apricot jam with the water over a low heat to make a glaze and brush this over the tart.
- Serve warm with whipped cream or vanilla ice cream.